Who Qualifies for Surgery?
At Memorial Medical Center, we use the ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery)
as well as the NIH (National Institute of Health) guidelines in determining eligibility for surgery.
The guidelines for our weight loss (bariatric) surgery program are as follows:
- A body mass index (BMI) of at least 40 and are approximately 100 pounds over
ideal body weight. Click here to use our BMI Calculator Opens new window
- A BMI of 35 to 39.9 (obesity), and two serious weight related health problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure.
- Age 18 or older.
- No psycho-emotional or medical problems that would increase risk; no drug or alcohol dependency.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco cessation. These behaviors increase risk for respirator complications and stomach ulcers, as well as other health problems.
- Good molar teeth for chewing.