Fall Treat Recipes
- Description of list:
- The Wunderbar
- Triple Chocolate Date Torte
- Dark Chocolate Cherry & Chia Bark
- Pumpkin Spice Dark Hot Chocolate
Makes 16 bars
(Adapted from Rebecca Katz)
- Description of list: Ingredients for The Wunderbar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces dark, excellent quality chocolate (60 to 72% cacao content)
- 1 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 cup pistachio nuts, shelled
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 8 ounces Medjool dates, halved, pits removed
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
Note: Substitute any dried fruit or nuts you like, but keep the dates!
- Description of list: Directions for The Wunderbar
- Preheat oven to 325
- Spread the almonds on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- Oil an 8 x 8 in. baking pan with olive oil or line with parchment.
- Chop the two chocolates finely. Place them in a small bowl and melt over a pan of hot water, stirring gently until just melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the pistachio nuts and almonds in food processor bowl and pulse 3 to 4 times. Add the dates, cherries, melted chocolate, salt and vanilla extract. Pulse until the ingredients begin to hold together, almost like dough. Press evenly into the prepared pan using your hands. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Cover the pan and chill until firm, about an hour.
- Cut into sixteen 2-inch squares. Enjoy at room temperature.
Storage: Store refrigerated in airtight container for 4 days. Freeze, tightly wrapped, for 2 months.
TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DATE TORTE:
Makes 8 servings
(Adapted from Rebecca Katz)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Triple Chocolate Date Torte
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, cut into quarters (about 3 oz by weight)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ounces or ½ cup finely chopped dark, 68-75% percentage cacao
- 1 tablespoon cocoa nibs and/or sliced almonds
- Description of list: Directions for Triple Chocolate Date Torte
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil bottom and sides of an 8-inch spring form pan or muffin tin.
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, dates, maple syrup, and cinnamon to a boil. Lower the heat and gently simmer, stirring often until the dates are tender and water is absorbed, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor pulse the walnuts until just finely ground. Be careful not to over-process the walnuts or they will turn into a paste and become oily and sticky.
- Place ½ cup of the ground walnuts in a large mixing bowl, then add the almond flour, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda and mix well so that no lumps of baking soda remain.
- Now, add the cooled dates to the processor bowl and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the oil, then the eggs, one at a time and finally the vanilla, scraping down the sides once or twice. -Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula. Fold in the chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared pan and shake gently to even batter. -Sprinkle the top with cocoa nibs and/or sliced almonds and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. The top will be a bit puffed up and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
DARK CHOCOLATE CHERRY &
(Adapted from Kristina LaRue, RD)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Dark Chocolate Cherry & Chia Bark
- 2 oz 60% (or higher) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Pinch of sea salt
- Description of list: Directions for Dark Chocolate Cherry & Chia Bark
- In glass bowl, microwave chocolate, stirring a few times until melted.
- Pour chocolate onto parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients onto the chocolate and refrigerate until hardened. Store in refrigerator.
PUMPKIN SPICE DARK HOT CHOCOLATE:
(Adapted from Carlene Thomas, RD)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Dark Hot Chocolate
- Makes 4 one cup servings
- 4 cups skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chunks
- 3 tablespoon canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (Make your own: ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, ground allspice, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom)
- Description of list: Directions for Pumpkin Spice Dark Hot Chocolate
- Heat milk in a pot (don’t boil). Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- Add pumpkin and spices to combine.
- Optional: Sweeten with maple syrup or add in dried espresso or decaf coffee for a latte. Serve with whipped topping and cinnamon sticks for fun.