Healthy Summer Pizzas
MOSTLY WHOLE GRAIN PIZZA CRUST:
- Description of list: Ingredients for Mostly Whole Grain Pizza Crust
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, more as needed
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more as needed
- 1 cup warm water
- Description of list: Directions for Mostly Whole Grain Pizza Crust
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees.
- Combine water, yeast and sugar in a glass and let stand until frothy.
- Combine flours and salt.
- Stir yeast mixture and add to flours. Add olive oil. Mix with a spoon or by hand at first and then kneading as you go. Form a ball and smear some olive oil on top and bottom to prevent sticking.
- Cover dough ball in bowl and proof on the counter for 1 hr or in the oven on the proof setting for 1 hr.
- Roll dough out thin using additional flour to prevent sticking. Add holes with a fork.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes. Add toppings and bake again for at least 10-12 min or until bubbly.
SPAGHETTI SQUASH PIZZA CRUST:
(Perry & Sons Manteca)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (1 medium squash)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper
- Description of list: Directions for Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove seeds and steam squash in microwave for 15 minutes or until soft, or method as desired. Let cool.
- Scoop flesh out of squash into a strainer and press excess water out.
- Mix squash and all ingredients together.
- On lined sheet pan press squash mixture into a flat disc, as thin as you can while keeping it together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until crust edges are brown.
- Add thin layer of basic pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake again until cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
BASIC PIZZA SAUCE:
- Description of list: Ingredients for Basic Pizza Sauce
- 8 ounces can no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Description of list: Directions for Basic Pizza Sauce
- Combine all ingredients together. (Can freeze for later use.).
White & Green Pizza:
- Description of list: Ingredients for White & Green Pizza
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, stalky part removed, chopped
- 1 crown of broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 cup homemade or prepared basil pesto
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tbs fresh
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Description of list: Directions for White & Green Pizza
- Steam cauliflower until soft. Puree with pesto.
- On prebaked pizza crust, smear cauliflower pesto.
- Sprinkle green veggies on top followed by oregano, garlic powder, pepper and feta.
- Drizzle the entire pizza with olive oil and brush edges of pizza crust.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 min or until vegetables look bright and a bit browned.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes as desired.
FARMER’S MARKET PIZZA:
- Description of list: Ingredients for Farmer's Market Pizza/li>
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup zucchini squash, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup yellow corn kernels
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded or fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar glaze
- Coconut bacon (optional)
- Description of list: Directions for Basic Farmer's Market Pizza
- Smear thin layer of basic pizza sauce on prebaked crust.
- Add veggies and olives to pizza followed by cheese.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 min or until bubbly.
- Add fresh basil, drizzle of balsamic glaze and coconut bacon if desired.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Coconut "Bacon"
- 2 tablespoon tamari, bragg's amino's or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 1/2 cups large flaked coconut (about 7 ounces)
- salt for sprinkling, optional
- Description of list: Directions for Coconut "Bacon"
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Stir ingredients together and spread on lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 15-18 min stirring every 5 min until lightly browned. Watch closely to prevent burning. Will harden as it dries.
- Keep in sealed container.
FRESH CHERRY AND CORN SALAD:
(The Simple Veganista)
(Makes 8 Servings)
June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, a great time to add more plant foods to your diet. This seasonal salad boasts a pound of bright cherries. This colorful fruit is a good source of fiber, vitamin C and natural antioxidants called anthocyanins. They pair perfectly with the natural sweetness of corn and mild flavor of leafy greens like arugula. Swap out any fresh stone fruit you like!
- Description of list: Ingredients for Fresh Cherry and Corn Salad - Dressing
- 1/2 medium shallot, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black or white pepper to taste
- Description of list: Ingredients for Fresh Cherry and Corn Salad - Salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula or baby spinach
- 4 ears cooked fresh corn, kernels sliced off cob
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 pound fresh dark cherries, pitted, sliced in half
- Description of list: Directions for Fresh Cherry and Corn Salad
- In small mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk well.
- In large salad bowl combine arugula, corn and onion. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
- Arrange salad on individual dishes and sprinkle with feta. Top with cherries and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Description of list: Nutrition for Fresh Cherry and Corn Salad
- 215 calories
- 10 grams total fat (3 grams saturated fat)
- 29 grams carbohydrate
- 6 grams protein
- 3 grams dietary fiber
- 167 milligrams sodium.