Spring 2015 Recipes
- Description of list: Spring 2015 Recipes
- Zucchini Porridge
- Peanut Butter Oat Biscuits
- Skinny Shepherd's Pie
- Black Bean Veggie Burgers – Mexican Inspired
- Strawberry Mousse with Coconut
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Tortilla Soup
- Heart Healthy Chocolate Avocado Pudding with Almond Butter
- Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap
- Avocado Quinoa Salad
Makes 2 servings.
(Adapted from greenevi.com)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Zucchini Porridge
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of finely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Description of list: Directions for Zucchini Porridge
- Add all the ingredients to a small pot and cook for about 5-10 minutes. Don’t forget to stir sometimes. Top with blueberries and slivered almonds and serve warm. Enjoy!
PEANUT BUTTER OAT BISCUITS :
Makes 9-12 biscuits.
(Adapted from Selena Sharpless; thenutritiouskitchen.com)
These biscuits are very hearty and meant for peanut butter lovers. Biscuits stay fresh covered in an airtight container at room temp for a few days. These also freeze well too. They are best served warm, re-toasted in the oven with apple butter or cream cheese on top!
- Description of list: Ingredients for Peanut Butter Oat Biscuits
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes (extra cold)
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk plus 1/3 cup honey Greek yogurt
- Description of list: Directions for Peanut Butter Oat Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk milk and Greek yogurt together until a thick mixture forms and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Crumble butter into flour with a fork until the flour becomes crumbly.
- Combine peanut butter and milk mixture in a separate bowl until fully combined. Add this to your flour mixture and stir until everything is just combined. Be careful not to over mix!
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead the dough a few times.
- Roll dough out into a 1 inch disc; be careful not to overwork the dough though.
- Using a round cookie cutter/dough cutter push down into dough and lightly twist. Repeat until dough is used up and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of each biscuit with a little melted butter then bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes and serve warm with butter, jam, chocolate or more peanut butter!
SKINNY SHEPHERD’S PIE:
Makes 4 servings. 10 minute prep time, 1 hour total time.
(Adapted from Joy Bauer)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Skinny Shepherd's Pie
- Oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey (at least 90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes (approximately 2 to 3 large), peeled, cubed and boiled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk (or reduced-fat sour cream)
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cheese, cheddar, reduced-fat shredded, or Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Description of list: Directions for Skinny Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6- to 8-cup ceramic or glass gratin dish with oil spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the turkey, and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring, until the turkey is browned, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, thyme, and paprika. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the broth and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until the turkey is cooked through and a light sauce forms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with the buttermilk or sour cream until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a large metal bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. With a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the sweet-potato mixture.
- Spread the meat mixture into the prepared casserole dish, and top with the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle with the Cheddar or Swiss cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the potato topping is puffed and browned around the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: 403 calories, 7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 61mg cholesterol, 44g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 368mg sodium, 41g protein
BLACK BEAN VEGGIE BURGERS – MEXICAN INSPIRED:
Makes 4 servings. 15 minute prep time, 20 minute cook time.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Black Bean Veggie Burgers – Mexican Inspired
- 1 can (16 ounce) no salt added black beans, drained (don't rinse)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- Dash turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (I used jar type)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used whole wheat panko) Olive oil for frying
- Description of list: Black Bean Veggie Burgers – Mexican Inspired
- Mash black beans in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup or your hands, divide mixture into 4 servings and form thick patties.
- In heated skillet, brush or drizzle on olive oil and cook the 4 patties for about 4-5 min on ea side; softly smashing the patties down once.
- Assembly: Lightly toast whole grain bun of your choice. On one side of bun smear with avocado. Layer lettuce and tomato on top. On other side of bun swirl on BBQ of choice. Add burger and enjoy!
Makes 3 servings.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Strawberry Mousse with Coconut
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hr +, drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk, or milk of your preference
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Description of list: Directions for Strawberry Mousse with Coconut
- Using a blender, blend all ingredients together until very smooth. Pour into individual serving dishes and top with shredded coconut. Enjoy right away or refrigerate for a thicker mousse.
MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE:
Makes 2 servings.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups of milk of choice (I used unsweetened vanilla coconut milk)
- 2 ounces chopped dark chocolate or chips
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash of cayenne powder (optional)
- Description of list: Directions for Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Combine all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer until chocolate is melted. (Add a little water if too strong).
Makes 10 servings (generous 1 cup each). 24 minute active preparation time, 48 minute total preparation time.
(Adapted from Sharon Palmer; Plant Powered Dietitian)
- Description of list: Ingredients for Tortilla Soup Toppings
- Chopped green onions, white and green parts
- Sprinkle of cheese
- Description of list: Ingredients for Tortilla Soup
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 cup (164 g) frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cups (948 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium vegetable or chicken broth base
- Two 14.5 ounce (411 g) cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- One 15 ounce (425 g) can black beans, with liquid (or 1 3/4 cups cooked, with 1/2 cup water)
- Description of list: Directions for Tortilla Soup
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Slice the tortillas into thin strips. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then sprinkle the chili powder on top. Bake for about 5 to 8 minutes, until brown and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside. Turn off the oven.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soup by heating the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell pepper, jalapeño, zucchini, corn, crushed red pepper, and cumin and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth base, tomatoes, and black beans. Stir well and cover. Simmer over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition per serving: 148 calories, 5g protein, 21g carbohydrate, 5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 5g fiber, 5g sugar, 263mg sodium.
HEART HEALTHY CHOCOLATE AVOCADO PUDDING WITH ALMOND BUTTER:
Makes 6 servings.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Heart Healthy Chocolate Avocado Pudding with Almond Butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips or 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large ripe avocado flesh
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sweetener of choice (maple syrup, honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Dash of sea salt
- Description of list: Directions for Heart Healthy Chocolate Avocado Pudding with Almond Butter
- Melt chocolate in microwave stirring frequently or over the stove (skip this step if using cocoa powder). Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth. Gets firm when refrigerated. Great paired with berries. Feel free to make your own variation.
Really rich and satisfying dessert that uses 4 teaspoons of our daily added sugar budget of no more than 6 teaspoons for women and 9 teaspoons for men.
Nutrition per serving: 205 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 24g carbohydrate, 16g sugar, 100mg sodium, 3g fiber, 5g protein