SUMMER RECIPES - 2016
- Description of list: Summer 2016 Recipes
- Chunky Gazpacho
- Pesto Tortellini with Chicken & Snap Peas
- Vanilla Minted Fruit Salad
This Spanish inspired chunky soup is similar to a salsa using a variety of flavorful summer vegetables and can be enjoyed with a spoon, a few tortilla chips, or even with fish or chicken.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Chunky Gazpacho
- 2 Anaheim chilies
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sticks of celery (including some of the leaves), chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, deveined, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 small avocadoes, cut into chunks
- 28 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped or 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leafy ends chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Description of list: Directions for Chunky Gazpacho
- Roast Anaheim chilies over the grill, in the oven or on the stove top until skin is blackened. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel skin, devein and remove seeds then chop.
- Mix together all ingredients gently so as to not smash the avocado too much.
Pesto Tortellini with Chicken & Snap Peas:
Quick and Healthy Meal Idea
Makes 4 servings
- Description of list: Ingredients for Pesto Tortellini with Chicken & Snap Peas
- 1 quart (4 cups) low sodium vegetable broth or stock
- 1 pound packaged tortellini
- 1 chicken breast (use white beans if vegetarian)
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Basil pesto
- 7-8 ounce bag of sugar snap peas/snow peas
- Fresh Lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese for serving
In a small pot boil enough water to cover chicken breast and cook through then set aside until cooled. Bring the broth or stock to a simmer and add the tortellini. Cook for 5 min until soft. Meanwhile shred chicken breast and set aside. Add the snow peas or other vegetable if desired and cook another 2-3 min. Remove from heat and mix in chicken, pesto and lemon zest. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Note: Try adding baby spinach & cooked carrots to bump up the veggies.
Vanilla Minted Fruit Salad:
Try this fancy fruit salad to add something new to the table and enjoy the benefits of berries and fresh seasonal fruit. This is a perfect swap for a healthy dessert.
- Description of list: Ingredients for Vanilla Minted Fruit Salad
- 2 cups of strawberries (or berry of choice)
- 1 cup of seedless green grapes
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of course/raw sugar or sugar of choice
- 2 teaspoon fresh chopped mint leaves (chocolate mint leaves work really well)
Mix all ingredients well to combine and serve cold.