Same Day Surgery Center
The Same Day Surgery Center at Memorial Medical Center offers safe, efficient and economical outpatient surgical care when you need minor surgery or diagnostic procedures.
Surgeries in almost all areas of medicine can now be conveniently performed in our Same Day Surgery Center. Here, you have the added dimension of the quality of care and safety provided by a hospital with its state-of-the-art equipment and support staff, but the cost of an overnight stay is avoided.
Our operating rooms are fully equipped and our recovery room allows patients to receive maximum attention and monitoring.
Scheduling your surgery
Your surgeon’s office will call to schedule your surgery at the Same Day Surgery Center.
At the time your surgery is scheduled, your surgeon will discuss with you the type of anesthesia recommended for your particular surgery.
- General anesthesia is always administered by an anesthesiologist. You will be asleep during the procedure.
- If you receive a local or regional (more extensive local) anesthesia, you may be given a medication to help you relax, and medication will be given to numb the operative site.
Pre-admission for surgery
A few days before your surgery you will receive a telephone call from the admitting department personnel on the first floor at the hospital to arrange for a pre-admission appointment.
During your advance visit to the admitting department in Memorial Medical Center:
- We will pre-register you, discuss financial arrangements and provide conditions of admissions forms for your signature.
- You can complete laboratory tests if ordered by your surgeon.
- One of our registered nurses at the Same Day Surgery Center will:
- Review instructions with you.
- Identify special care needs you may have.
- Talk with you about prescribed medications and allergies to medications.
- Verify your arrival time for surgery at Memorial Surgery Center at Spanos Court.
- Answer any questions you may have.
When you come for your pre-admission appointment, please bring:
- All insurance forms and cards. Most insurance plans cover the cost of outpatient surgery.
- A list of medications you are currently taking.
- Any papers your surgeon or primary care physician has given you (for example, physician’s orders for lab work, EKG, x-rays, etc.).
- Advance Medical Directive, if you have one.
If you do not need laboratory tests and are not scheduled for a pre-admission visit, a registered nurse from the Same Day Surgery Center will call you the day before your surgery to complete the pre-admission visit by phone.
Before your surgery
- Important: After 12 midnight or the night before your surgery, do not eat or drink anything, including water.
- If a change in your physical condition develops prior to surgery, such as a cough, cold, fever, or other illness, notify your physician. If you suspect you may be pregnant, please inform your physician because anesthesia or medication could be harmful to the fetus.
- Alcoholic beverages should not be consumed during the 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Please refrain from smoking on the day of surgery if you are to receive general anesthesia. No smoking is allowed in or near the facility.
- Prior to surgery, you will be asked to sign a consent form covering the operation, use of anesthetics and other medical procedures. For minors, a parent or legal guardian must sign the form, and provide any needed documents.
- Arrange for a responsible person to drive and escort you home upon your discharge. In no instance should you drive yourself. The effect of residual medication may alter your alertness and coordination. If you plan to take a taxi home, a reliable adult should accompany you.
On your day of surgery
- Please report to the Same Day Surgery Center at Memorial Medical Center.
- Important: Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after 12 midnight on the night before your surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and low-heeled shoes. We will provide a hospital gown, slippers and a bag for your clothes.
- Please shower and wash your hair before coming for surgery.
- Wear dentures without adhesive.
- Leave contact lenses at home, if possible. However, wear your glasses so you may sign the consent form for surgery.
- Women: Please do not wear mascara. Do not wear fingernail polish if you are having arm or hand surgery, or toenail polish if having leg or foot surgery.
- Jewelry or other valuables should not be brought to the hospital.
- If your physician gives you a prescription for pain medication when you are discharged, please have it filled at a pharmacy of your choice. The hospital pharmacy is unable to fill prescriptions for outpatients.
- In the unlikely event that the surgical or anesthetic procedure becomes unexpectedly prolonged or complicated, your doctor may arrange for you to be admitted to Memorial Medical Center which is located adjacent to the Same Day Surgery Center.
Special instructions for children scheduled for surgery
- To comfort your child, bring a special toy and/or blanket. If the child refuses a regular nipple on a bottle, bring a pacifier, Platex nurser or a sipper cup.
- We provide an area in the Same Day Surgery Center especially for children.
- Please do not bring other children with you to the hospital.
- For small children, it is strongly recommended that someone other than the driver be available to help care for the child during the trip home.
- The registered nurse will instruct you prior to the day of surgery about how long before surgery your child may not eat or drink.
- Prior to the day of surgery, let your surgeon and the nursing staff in the Same Day Surgery Center your child has been exposed to a viral infection such as measles, mumps, or chicken pox.
When you are discharged
- You will be given an instruction sheet to help you care for yourself at home.
- A day or so following your surgery, a nurse from the Same Day Surgery Center will phone you to check on your progress and answer any questions.
- For your comfort and safety, please do not operate machinery, drink alcoholic beverages or take any medications not prescribed by your physician for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Your physician will provide necessary medical and surgical follow-up.
We hope to make your stay at the Same Day Surgery Center as comfortable and convenient as possible. Please keep these instructions handy for reference.
If you have questions, do not hesitate to call your doctor or the Same Day Surgery Center at 572-7063. We are open from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you are unable to reach your physician and have a concern that needs immediate attention, please call Memorial Medical Center’s PromptCaresm at 572-7237.
Same Day Surgery Center is located on the campus of Memorial Medical Center, at 1700 Coffee Road, Modesto, California 209-572-7063.
To find the Same Day Surger Center on the Memorial Medical Center map, click here.